- Working at my new job. Funny how part time takes all your time, right?
- Doing the summertime juggle: keeping two under-scheduled children in the air for 98 hours a week. (Wheeee!) (How does she do it?)
- Just got back from a trip to Nevada City and the Yuba River where all I did was dip into the cold water then sizzle on a slab of hot rock. Dip and fry, dip and fry, dip and fry under the deep blue sky. (This is my brain: ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^.)
- Writing very weird things. And one was published! Seriously, somebody slap me: Stir Journal published something I wrote, a piece called The Billionaire Diet which struck me on the first day on my new editing job when I learned about how much money a person might conceivably earn writing about a diet. I thought I could write one of those (but then I couldn’t keep a straight face). Please click through to see the strange mud that is stirring up to my surface.
- I also wrote another small article called How to Make Friends with Crows which I recommend for anyone who’s interested in the neighborhood crows.
- Reading Madness, Rack, and Honey by Mary Ruefle. *Swoon.* OMFG she is so good it hurts. You should see my copy–completely warped, disintegrating at the edges, tea-stained, dog-eared, splayed like a soggy bird, covered with licks and lipsticky nibbles. I need nothing more in life but this book forever, over and over. Mary Ruefle: I am yours. Your word is my mantra.
- We stayed one night at the oldest continually-running hotel in California, a place where Mark Twain once slept, and I’m sure he stayed in the same room we did, in the exact same bed, on the same mattress even (it was at least 100 years old, that mattress) and I had a plot dream. Because that’s how my plots come to me: in dreams. And I’m not sure if this dream-idea is quite novel-length but it is very interesting and I waited a long time for it and I managed to scribble it on the back of a menu I found on the bedside table so I’m jumping up and down but very, very softly because I don’t want to scare it away.
Please, please GO SEE THE WEIRD THING I WROTE, at least to show the nice people who decided to run it that I have a friend or two and they didn’t make a mistake.
Where the hell have you been?